Tuesday, July 05, 2011

The more things change...

Am I destined NOT to take a fabulous trip around the world, or around the US? Everytime I try to make the plans, something goes awry. This time, Andrea and I both had job changes that impacted our ability to travel this summer. Since neither of us are independently weathly, we had to answer The Man's call.

The upside is that my new job opportunity is allowing me to travel.  On my most recent trip, I was able to spend some time at Joshua Tree National Park, which has always been on my list - - at least since I fell in love with U2's "Joshua Tree" album!  Corny reason to visit a national park, but it worked for me.  The park is gorgeous.  Such different terrain than I am used to on the East Coast.  Joshua trees are fascinating.  They thrive in very harsh conditions and, after the first few years, are pretty slow growers.  Seeing them towering over the desert made me wonder just how long some of them had existed and about all of the changes they have witnessed.

My next trip will be to Cincinnati - - other than watching WKRP growing up, I don't know much about it and never considered visiting.  I'll do some research to see what's cool to check out while I'm there.  Recently I learned that I have family (extended) there as well, so hopefully, I'll be able to see/meet them.

The other nice thing about traveling for work is that work picks up the tab! For the business related activites, not my adventures - those are on my own dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment